Fact, Fiction and Stats of Lesbian
of Domestic Violence for Lesbians
· Lesbian relationships can’t have domestic violence, because they are both women.
· Only the “butch” partner can be abusive.
· It must be “mutual abusive” or “fighting” if both partners are of the same sex.
· A physically smaller partner cannot abuse a larger partner.
· S/M is abuse and domestic violence.
· Drugs or alcohol are to blame for the violence if she only attacks when under the influence.
· There is no place for lesbian victims of domestic violence to get help.
· It’s not violence because she only threatens and puts me down. She has never hit me.
About Domestic Violence
· Domestic Violence occurs when one person is clearly the victim. Mutual fighting is not domestic violence.
· Even though the perpetrator may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol when violence occurs, drugs
and alcohol do not “cause” the domestic violence
· 1 in 3 women will be assaulted by an intimate partner in her lifetime (30-50% of all women)
· 30% of LGBT couples experience domestic violence
· 3 out of 4 women murdered are killed by their partners
· Acts of domestic violence occur every 15 to 18 seconds in the United States
· 30% of all hospital emergency room admissions are female victims of domestic violence
· Six million American women are beaten each year. Four thousand of them are killed.
· 11 women die every day as a result of domestic violence